Video Guide and ingredients list at bottom of page
Shepherd’s pie is a classic comfort food. There are many ways to make this dish and they all have their benefits. You can adjust the ingredients to your own tastes and cook it in a number of ways. Here are the most common types of pie filling. Let us take a look at some of them! Here’s a quick overview of the various kinds of shepherd’s pies.
Lamb is the traditional filling, but you can also use lean ground beef or a combination of chicken and lamb. If you don’t want to add any fat, you can also use ground turkey. You can even use leftover turkey or mashed cauliflower as a topping. The best part about this dish is that it can be frozen. It can also be reheated later. You can also make it vegetarian by using more vegetables or substituting other meats.
One of the best parts about this recipe is that you can prepare it in advance. The meat can be frozen and cooked overnight. Once thawed, you can simply transfer the meat mixture to a casserole dish and top it with mashed potatoes. You can then bake it in a foil-lined baking dish for 30 minutes. Serve it warm or at room temperature. It makes a delicious meal that everyone will enjoy.
This easy casserole is a great way to use up leftover holiday foods. In fact, it’s an excellent choice for a last-minute meal, as it’s the perfect meal for the whole family. The result will be a delicious, easy, and filling dinner.
To make this dish even easier, you can use instant potatoes. These pies are a good option for a weeknight dinner, because they can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. Aside from using instant potatoes, you can also use other vegetables instead of mashed potatoes, such as mushrooms or onions. Depending on the type of meat you choose, a shepherd’s pie can be made with almost any type of meat.
When making shepherd’s pie, you can use either ground beef or ground lamb. Both types of meats are tasty and nutritious, but the main difference between the two dishes is the type of meat. In America, shepherd’s pie is often made with ground beef, while cottage pie uses lamb. There are many different variations of shepherd’s pie, but a good recipe should be based on what your family and friends prefer.
- Ingredients: For the meat mixture:
- 2 pounds (1kg) ground lamb
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp (30) flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 black pepper
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 7oz (200g) carrots
- 7oz (200g) peas (fresh or frozen) For the puree:
- 3.5 pounds (1.5kg) potatoes
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (25g) cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 black pepper egg yolk
- 1. Peel the potatoes and cut into 4. Place in a medium pot and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, add a teaspoon of salt, cover and bring to a boil. cook until tender.
- 2. While the potatoes are cooking, heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté 2-3 minutes, add crushed garlic and chopped carrots, sauté until the carrots are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- 3. Add the ground lamb, Cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, chopped rosemary and thyme. Add tomato paste, flour and stir.
- 4. Add beef broth and frozen peas. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens.
- 5. When the potatoes are done cooking transfer them to a bowl. Add butter, milk, egg yolk, salt and pepper. mash the potatoes until smooth.
- 6. Preheat oven to 400F (200C). 7. Layer the meat mixture in a 13″X8.5″ (33X22cm) ovenproof dish. Spread the puree over the meat mixture. 8. Bake 20-25 minutes. or until mashed potato is golden brown.